Monday, November 7, 2011

Pumpkin Bars

This is the recipe that I used for the pumpkin bars I brought to Super Saturday.  Several people asked me to post the recipe, so here we go:

**Note**
I don't follow the recipe exactly, so I've noted the changes that I make

Bars:
4 eggs
1 C cooking oil (to reduce fat intake, I use a cup of applesauce and 2 Tbsp. of oil)
2 C flour
2 tsp baking power
1 tsp baking soda
1 ⅔ C sugar
1 (16-once) can pumpkin (2 heaping cups full)
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon (I reduced the cinnamon to 1 tsp. and added some pumpkin pie spice)
1 C nuts (I omitted this)

Beat eggs, sugar, oil, and pumpkin until light and fluffy. Sift together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and baking soda.  Add to pumpkin mixture and stir thoroughly.  Add nuts.  Spread in a cookie sheet.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.  Cool and frost with cream cheese icing.

Icing:
I use the cream cheese frosting from OurBestBites:

2 8-oz. packages cream cheese at almost room temperature
1/2 cup salted butter at almost room temperature
2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
Whip together the cream cheese, butter, and extract until light and fluffy. Add in the powdered sugar and whip until smooth and fully incorporated. Refrigerate any leftovers (or anything you’ve frosted that doesn’t get eaten immediately).
-Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment